In the wake of famed director Hayao Miyazaki’s announcement that he will be retiring from making feature films, fans are wondering who will step up to take his place in the industry. To find out, Goo Ranking (a poll website) asked 8,585 fans which anime director is their favorite now that Miyazaki has retired.
It comes as no surprise to us that several directors of FUNimation licensed titles have made the cut. In particular, Hosoda whose recently released Wolf Children film has been a fan favorite for its heart warming story about love and family.
Also among the top 20 directors are the following:
2. Hideaki Anno – Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Mamoru Hosoda – Summer Wars, Wolf Children
5. Katsuhiro Otomo – Akira
10. Goro Taniguchi – Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
11. Seiji Mizushima – Fullmetal Alchemist
12. Tsutomu Mizushima – Blood-C
15. Keiichi Hara – Shin-chan
17. Junichi Sato – Kaleido Star
18. Tatsuyuki Nagai – A Certain Scientific Railgun, My-HiME
For the complete anime list, please see the original article posted here. So, what do you think of the ranking? Do you agree or disagree?
If any of the aforementioned titles interest you, click the links to check them out!